31 May 2020

Shadow and Bone * Leigh Bardugo

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. 

Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Alina Starkov isn't your average girl, she's a mapmaker for the Second Army. With her best and only friend Mal by her side, nothing can go wrong. 

Until they venture into the Unsea, a place where few have returned, but when their ship is doomed and they somehow find their way home. The only person they have to thank is Alina, and her hidden gift.  

Soon her old life is quickly taken away from her when she is thrust into the unknown world of the Grisha. But with the watchful eye on her from the beautiful Darkling, can Alina really be the hope for all mankind? Or is she just a pawn in a deathly and lethal game? 

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, is the first book in the Grishaverse series. I am currently doing a buddy read with the lovely Katherine and it's been a great book to start with. We have decided to read the entire series, one book a month until we finish and I can't wait to get started on the next one.  

I really enjoyed this one, it took me a while to get into it and I felt that it was quite a slow burner to begin with. Though it soon picked up the pace and I was turning pages as fast as I could to keep up with the story. I loved the writing style, and I certainly loved Alina's character - She comes across as a total badass and I'm down for that. 

To be honest, the names in the book sometimes totally threw me out, and I didn't understand why some words were constantly in italics, such as Kefta cause damn that started to annoy me after a while. I'm sure there must be a reason to it, who knows? 

Can we talk about that shock towards the end of the book though? Because I was not expecting that to happen. Damn, that changed the story dramatically. 

Without giving too much away, I really enjoyed the book and I can't wait to get back into the series and onto the next book.  

I will be giving this book 4 out 5 
(Cawpile rating of 7.64) 


No comments:

Post a Comment