18 May 2020

The Lost Magician * Piers Torday

1945. They have survived the Blitz, but when Simon, Patricia, Evelyn and Larry step through a mysterious library door, it is the beginning of their most dangerous adventure yet. They discover the magical world of Folio, where an enchanted kingdom of fairy knights, bears and tree gods is under threat from a sinister robot army.

The many stories of the Library are locked in eternal war, and the children's only hope is to find their creator - a magician who has been lost for centuries.


What they discover will change not just their own lives, but the fate of the world, for ever...


When four siblings venture to a library through the attic door of an old country home, they can't believe what they're seeing. 

Simon, Patricia, Evie and Larry have come to Hatfield Hall to live over the school holidays after the most recent war. Though none of the children envisioned getting caught up in a war of their own, especially a war between robots, bears and other mythical creatures. 

As the children embark on an adventure of a lifetime, they must decide how brave they are, how much are the willing to sacrifice and most importantly, who can they trust? 

The Lost Magician by Piers Today, is the first in a new Children's series and I'll be honest, I wasn't that keen on the story. 

Whilst I do love the reason behind it and some elements of the book, such as the world building and the retellings of children's classics from various character's point of views. I also feel the story lacked imagination, and here's why. 

As I was reading there we're very similar notes to various different stories, the main one being 'The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe' by C.S. Lewis, which don't get me wrong is an absolute classic, but I think one of the reasons why I wasn't too keen on this books because, I was never into TLWAW to begin with. 

I know that this book is different and I persevered and read till the end, but I just felt it lacked imagination and was a little lacklustre. I just feel that the book could have had a lot more potential. Simon and Patricia's characters also annoyed me. 

With that said, I would give the second book in the series a chance and will read it, I believe the next is based on the children's own children in the future.  

I sadly gave this book 2 out of 5. 
(Cawpile rating of 2.86)


No comments:

Post a Comment