15 September 2019

The Gracekeepers * Kirsty Logan

A flooded world. 
A floating circus. 
Two women in search of a home. 

North lives on a circus boat with her beloved bear, keeping a secret that could capsize her life.

Callanish lives alone in her house in the middle of the ocean, tending the graves of those who die at sea. As penance for a terrible mistake, she has become a gracekeeper.

A chance meeting between the two draws them magnetically to one another - and to the promise of a new life.


North has a secret that no one can know. 
Callanish has been harbouring regrets since she was a young girl. 
Both women meet by chance and their worlds are changed forever. 

Following a death at sea, the Excalibur circus group are forced to visit the closest resting place within their waters - Callanish's Graceland. The two women are drawn to each other immediately, seeming to know each other but how? When they've never met each other in their entire lives.  

North is faced with a mammoth choice to make, to marry her "one true love" to to be banished from her home, her bear included. It should be easy, it should be safe, but nothing is safe when you live on the water and everything threatens you in your path. 

The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan, is the first book I have ever read by the author. I sadly didn't enjoy it. 

I really wanted too, its been on my shelf for years and I decided to pick it up a couple months back and it did start out promising. There was magic and fantasy, with a bit of the dystopian world added into the mix and I was really enjoying it. Though half way through the book, it kind of lost itself, the story started to fold in on its self and not make much sense. It sadly started to feel like a chore, by the end of it I was completely lost in what was happening. 

I feel that the book is to show what can and will happen with climate change if we're not careful, there is hardly any land mentioned in the book and half of it has been swallowed by water and it was portrayed very well. I preferred North's character over Callanish's due to I found her more robust and sure of herself, however both women became stronger as the story unfolded.  

I won't give up on the author and will be giving some of her books a read in the future as maybe this book just wasn't for me.  

I will be giving this book 4 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment