30 June 2015

Tigers In Red Weather * Liza Klaussmann

Tigers In Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Nick and her cousin Helena have grown up together and shared long hot summers over at Tiger House. With husbands and children of their own, the girls keep returning. But against the background of parties, cocktails, moonlight and Jazz, how long can perfection last? 

There is always the summer that changes everything. 

Set int the elegant 1940's Nick and Helena have always been close family members and best friends, spending hours chatting and having cocktails in the hot summer sun, to spending every summer holiday together in their Holiday home - Tiger House. 

All goes to plan, Nick falls madly in love with Hughes, a fighter in the war but soon feels disengaged and lonely when he is hardly ever there, searching for more glamour and romance in her life, Nick decides to go in search for it, but going in completely the wrong direction. 

Helena on the other hand has married into a disastrous marriage, even though madly in love with him, she just can't seem to get away from her obsessed and a little unnerving husband. Soon she starts to despise of her cousins relationship with her husband, her wonderful, romantic and glamorous marriage, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If anyone knows this, it's Nick. 

Fast forward to a few years and both cousins have children, Nick has a lovely young and beautiful daughter Daisy. Who is head strong and knows what she wants, even if she does get a little bit blind sided along the way, but her best friend and cousin also, Ed; there as thick as thieves and no one can stop them. 

But Ed has other ideas, ideas that only he knows. Suspicions of people's lives, how his family live theirs. He analyses them one by one, picking out flaws and things that they are unhappy with in their small and meaningless lives. 

He doesn't understand for example, why his mother stays with his Father, constantly giving him money for this "business" of his and why all those nights ago she slept with another man. Or how Daisy loves Taylor, a boy from the tennis club, but not him. 
Why his Aunt Nick has a better life than his mother and him, why she's perfect and gets everything and his mother has had to suffer. 

Or how his uncle Hughes is always watching him, like he doesn't trust him at all...
and he shouldn't for that matter. 

Tigers In Red the Weather by Liza Klaussmann, is the first novel by this wonderful author. The book is very well written (Which I appreciate) the story line was great and the plot always thickened. 

I'm slowly starting to really enjoy books that are set in the 1940's and on wards, the love I have for their fashion back then is overwhelming and everything about it is just beautiful!

I must admit, this was the first ever book I bought for my Kobo and he's been sat on the shelves of it for quite some time collecting dust. So, since I started the To Be Read Pile, challenge I decided to dust the ebook cover off and give it a whirl, and I was not disappointed. 

The book is set out about a different character per so many chapters and is told through different different years, so you have to pay more attention to detail and where the story is going, who your reading about and the year. I found this a bit difficult if I'm honest, took me a while to understand it and even near the end of the book I was flicking back to the contents to see who was matching up with who and what year. 

Nevertheless it was a great read and had such twists and turns in, which by the end I was quite shocked if I'm honest and quite dark in some places all the while making me want to read it in the sun with a nice glass of wine by the beach. Portrayed in the elegant and glamorous years, full with dinner parties, cocktails and fabulous dresses. 

I would happily read this book again, even if it may confuse me a little bit again! I recommend this book for this summer, a great summer read sat outside in the sunshine. A historic book in someways, filled with romance, lust and mystery and suspense I was very eager to turn the pages to find out what happened next! I was a slow start I must admit but I'm glad that I perused with the book otherwise I would of found this author! 

I will give this book 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment