28 March 2019

The Art of Taxidermy * Sharon Kernot

Lottie collects dead creatures and lovingly cares for them, hoping to preserve them, to save them from disintegration. 

Her father understands—Lottie has a scientific mind, he thinks. Her aunt wants it to stop, and she goes to cruel lengths to make sure it does.

Little Lottie is at a loss without her Mother and Sister by her side. Stricken with grief, Lottie starts to find more creative ways to help ease her pain and memories, though not everyone in the family is keen on her new creative streak. 

This wonderful book is written in verse and is based around the 1980's. It's the first type of verse book that I have read, it did not disappoint. 

The story focuses around Lottie, who is silently struggling with the loss of her mother and older sister Annie, the book flits between the past and present whilst giving a glimpse at what her family were like when they were still alive. 

As Lottie begins to have a fascination with Taxidermy, family members try everything in their power to make the little girl she should be and not the girl Lottie wants to be.  The writing and story telling itself is in a way that I would say beautifully morbid, there's a love and sadness that grows within the book and the use of imagery is beautiful. 

I felt for Lottie as her family couldn't see what she was trying to do. It showed how each character portrayed different stages of grief and how they deal with their own sadness and loss which was a very interesting interpretation. 

The Art of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot is a tremendous read and I can't wait for more of her work to follow. Without giving too much away, I thoroughly enjoyed this book more than I thought I would and I would highly recommend. Also, can I just point out that the cover works is absolutely
gorgeous and  big thanks to NetGalley and Text Publishing for the ARC. However, if you are squeamish towards certain animal natures, then I would advise you to tread lightly. 

I will be giving this book a 9 out of 10

The book will be released in the UK by Text Publishing Company on the 23rd August 2019 and I would strongly suggest picking it up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment