3 March 2019

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief * Rick Riordan

Half Boy. Half God. All Hero

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood, I never asked to be the son of a Greek God either. 

I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporised my maths teacher. Now I spend my time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive. 


Percy never asked to be a half-blood, he just wanted to be your run of the mill high schooler. Hanging out with friends and listening to music. Though instead, he gets transported to Half-Blood Academy for nearly slashing his teacher in half with a sword...that was actually a pen. 

With the help from Annabeth - daughter of Athena and Grover, a strange boy with fake feet and a hunger for tin cans; Percy and the gang are lead on a quest to battle a snake headed woman, three headed dogs and the almighty gods. 

Though all quests come with a price and to find something you hold so dear to your heat, you have to do the unimaginable and to do so from New York to L.A. in the space of seven days can be a bit tricky.  

So long as you have flying shoes, tin cans and pudding what could go wrong? 

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan, is the first novel in the Percy Jackson series and I will admit to watching the film first, years before reading the book (oh the shame!) However, I have wanted to give the books a go for some time and only did so when I was able to buy the set with some leaving money from my old job (Huzzah!) 

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, it was very imaginative, creative and an all round pleasure to read. There were quite a few funny parts and was highly packed with adventure. I loved Percy's character and I can say that I have learnt quite a bit more about Greek Mythology, which is something that I love and find interesting. 

Although a children's book, I think all ages can enjoy Riordan's books, I can't wait to get started on the rest of the series.  

I will be giving this book 9 out of 10



No comments:

Post a Comment