4 April 2019

The Light Fantastic * Terry Pratchett

'What shall we do?' said Twoflower.
'Panic?' said Rincewind hopefully. He always held that panic was the best means of survival.


As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld could do with a hero. What it doesn’t need is a singularly inept and cowardly wizard, still recovering from the trauma of falling off the edge of the world, or a well-meaning tourist and his luggage which has a mind (and legs) of its own. Which is a shame because that's all there is...


Rincewind never seems to be able to get it right, no matter what he says or does in life. 

Last time we saw him, he has just fallen off the face of the Dicworld with his unassigned, utterly useless sidekick - Twoflower. 

Fortunately for them, they landed in a good place albeit in a different continent, away from home and in the company of Bethan, Cohen the barbarian and a bunch of talking boulders. The good bit being that they didn't die on impact. 

Though as always, trouble seems to follow Rincewind and with a rather large bounty on his head for the spell that got lodged in there in the first place (even though he doesn't know how to cast it) he starts to ask his usual question to no one in particular...'why me?'

Some, bloody Wizard alright!

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett, is the second novel in the Discworld series and I can finally say that I got round to reading it, even though it only took another five years since reading the first novel. 

The story follows on from where it left off in The Colour of Magic , you get to see more of Rincewind and Towflower's friendship which I shall always treasure as its a loving relationship, the kind you get when someone is highly annoyed by them but they still care deeply for them.  

I must say, it did take me a while to read this one, as did when I was reading TCOM. In some ways the book is a little like the first where it quickens up in places then slows right down, there was quite a few things that I was getting a bit confused with, a bit like sensory overload (Though I suppose with a five year gap you would do!)

Never the less, I enjoyed it and the ending was great, I am sad to find out that the next book in the series, doesn't contain both the wizard and tourist but there are more books further down the series where they make a return appearance. I will continue to read the whole series as it is still very enjoyable with some highly hilarious moments in it.  

I will be giving this books 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment