11 May 2014

Lucy In The Sky * Paige Toon

Lucy In The Sky by Paige Toon

Settling down for a 24-hour flight to Australia, Lucy finds a text message on her phone - not from her boyfriend James, as she fondly hopes, but from a woman claiming to have slept with him four times in the past month. 

Trapped on the plane, she questions everything about her relationship with James. Nathan is a happy-go-lucky surfer boy, with no prospects, no place to live, an almost-girlfriend in tow. And the other side of the world...Lucy - a girl caught between two distant continents - and two very different men...

"Hi Lucy, Just shagged James in ur bed! 4 times this month! Nice Sheets xxx"

What could be worse than sitting on a plane for 24 hours? Receiving the above text from your loving boyfriend that someone has been shagging him in your own bed. But when Lucy phones James, he reassures her that the text was from a few friends just messing about. But this can't be right surely? As Lucy prepares for the worst flight in her life, things can only get better can't they? 

Three Singapore slings, two bossy flight attendants and a plane ride later. Lucy is in her home town in Sydney and on the way to see her childhood friends Molly and Sam for their wedding and a great holiday. But she can't help having a nagging suspicion about her lovable James at home in London, alone.

Seeing her two friends again and reminiscing about old times, is what Lucy's wanted to do for ages after she moved to London, and it's nice to know that she's finally over school crush for Sam. But when Sam's younger brother Nathan shows up, he knocks Lucy back into purgatory with her thoughts over James back at home. 

Nathan is a lovable, down to earth and an outright sexy surfer boy. He has no job, no permanent home, a woman in his life but not technically his girlfriend and is living every day as it comes. So when he sets his eyes on Lucy, things soon start to change and he soon knows what he wants in life. But it's not that easy, with her boyfriend stuck at home in London and his loved up friend who has the hots for him, but the feeling isn't mutual.

Though with Lucy leaving Australia in two weeks and her head in a mess over her feelings for both James and Nathan, where will this leave her? She doesn't want to go home, she doesn't want to leave Sam and Molly and she really doesn't want to leave Nathan. But she has too. Plus she has the best job to go back home too! What could be better than working with a well known PR Company? 

Will Lucy travel back to Australia? Which man will she choose? And will she ever decide on what she wants in life? 

Lucy In The Sky by Paige Toon, is the first book that I have read by Toon and I really don't know what to say about it, if I'm quite honest. I don't really know where to start but I'll give it a try. 

I thought the book was quite good at the start, I thought it had a good story line behind it with the text message and how Lucy was on the flight on the way to Australia, I could really sympathise with her and it was quite funny as well in places. I loved the story line with Nathan as well, and just liked Nathan's character in general. 

Though I think what ruined it for me on the whole was James's character and the way Lucy was with him. He was such a horrible person and treated her horribly and I just hated the fact that Lucy put up with that and just kind of accepted it even though she had feelings for Nathan and he made her happy. 

I think James's lie ran on a bit too long, I knew from the beginning what he had done and I know that it needs to be dragged on a bit more for the whole story, but I personally didn't think that it needed to be dragged out that long, it got a bit tedious and boring when it got to James.

Which sadly this was the only downside to the book, but it was quite a big downside. I don't know about reading anymore of Toon's books anytime soon. But I will do again at some point, keep your eyes peeled haha. 

One thing is for certain about this book that I did enjoy. It's made me really, really, REALLY want to go to Australia!! Haha Wanting a nice big summer, warm holiday now with a cocktail, a beach and a good book! I guess you'll find out if I go anywhere nice :) 

I will give this book 4.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment