31 July 2019

Montauk * Nicola Harrison

Montauk, Long Island, 1938. 

For three months, this humble fishing village will serve as the playground for New York City’s wealthy elite. Beatrice Bordeaux was looking forward to a summer of reigniting the passion between her and her husband, Harry. 


Instead, tasked with furthering his investment interest in Montauk as a resort destination, she learns she’ll be spending twelve weeks sequestered with the high society wives at The Montauk Manor—a two-hundred room seaside hotel—while Harry pursues other interests in the city. 

Beatrice has everything life has to offer. The wonderful house, expensive clothes, fancy dining and the perfect husband. So when she goes holidaying to Montauk with Harry, there's only one more thing she needs to complete the happy ending.  

As the months pass by, so do the cocktails in the sun, gossip amongst holiday makers and plans for the less fortunate, summer guests.  

But Beatrice longs for the simple things in life, she wants to hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet and for Harry to notice her at least once whilst they're away on their romantic getaway, rather than the other women who are staying within the hotel. 

She decides to take action, being bold and daring in activities she would have never considered before, rather than be 'seen and not heard'. She misses her simple life back home before her marriage, before Harry's riches. 

So when Beatrice steps up to the village lighthouse, could home be closer than she thought? Or is it something deeper that's bound to break? 

Montauk is the debut novel by author Nicola Harrison, a huge thanks to NetGally for letting me review this book. You all know how much I love my era books set between the 1920's - 1950's and when I saw this book I could not pass up the chance to be able to read it. 

I'll be honest, at first I was a bit skeptical with the first few chapters, but once it started to pick up I couldn't put it down! Beatrice's character grew on me and towards the end of the book I had so much respect and love for her. She is such a strong woman, my heart broke for her so much. 

There are so many surprises throughout the book which makes it such a gripping read. The story itself is beautifully written, the characters are charming and elegant. The whole book oozes glamour and scandal which makes it even more special. 

Harrison certainly knows how to write and I can't wait to hear of other books in the works by this sensational author. it is easily one of the best books that I have read this year so far. If you're looking for something new or if you're into your era reads, then look no further than Montauk. 

I will be giving this book 10 out of 10

Out now in all stores


No comments:

Post a Comment